- IT News Commentary Research. Identify a recent IT news item of interest (e.g., article, issue, report, or event) to serve as the focus for a news commentary. The news item must be recent in occurrence and address an information systems (IS) related technology topic of direct relevance to accounting practice and/or course content. Conduct supporting research to synthesize a sound understanding of the selected news item and IT topic(s) to which it relates. Supporting research may be conducted using print, media, and/or online sources. Note: Research must include a minimum of 3 distinct outside sources.
- IT News Commentary Write-Up. Prepare a concise, properly formatted write-up (1-2 pages including written responses, illustrations, references). Your write-up must include:
- The title and original source of recent IT news item (1 line).
- A discussion of the IT topics(s) (e.g., background/concepts/technologies) to which the IT news item relates (1paragraph)
- A discussion of the key point(s) of the IT news item (1 paragraph).
- A commentary on the relevance of the IT news item to accounting practice and/or course content AND a statement re the personal value of the knowledge you acquired while completing this assignment (1paragraph).
- A properly formatted reference section containing a minimum of 3 distinct outside sources (e.g., articles, news reports, websites) used to support your news commentary.
IT News Commentary Presentation. Deliver a brief informal presentation to the class (
 The news item must have occurred within the last 6 months; older items are only appropriate if more recent items (i.e., recent items that follow-up on or update the selected item) can be integrated into your commentary.
 There are numerous IT topics relevant to accounting practice/course content. See the AICPA Information Management and Technology Assurance page (https://www.aicpa.org/interestareas/informationtechnology.html) and/or Cybersecurity Resource Center (https://www.aicpa.org/interestareas/frc/assuranceadvisoryservices/cyber-security-resource-center.html) for examples of relevant IT topics.
 Consider the topics(s)/issue(s) to which the IT news item relates and comment on their applicability to practicing accountants and/or topics covered in this course.
 Consider what you learned while completing this assignment and comment on the personal importance of such knowledge to you, how such knowledge furthered your understanding of information systems, and/or how such knowledge offers value to you as an aspiring accounting professional.
 Course text, course notes, and other assigned course materials may be referenced but will NOT count as outside sources. Moreover, Wikipedia is NOT a legitimate reference for the purposes of this assignment.