Complete Parts 1-3 below as preparation for developing your coaching plan. Approach each part as a way to help the principal at your school understand the differences between coaching and mentoring, as well as consider important questions related to the coaching plan.
Create a chart, diagram, or other visual display of the characteristics, roles, and responsibilities of coaching and mentoring. Highlight the similarities and differences between the two.
Prepare a handout, brochure, poster, or other job aid that you can share with the principal and teachers on your campus that addresses the following questions:
- What factors must you keep in mind when working alongside a new principal?
- What questions must you ask before determining a new coaching model or program?
- What are the strengths of the staff and how can these strengths be utilized in your coaching plan?
- In what areas will teachers need the most support? How will you determine these areas of need?
- How should goals for student learning be determined? How should those goals be addressed?
Develop a list of five questions to ask the principal as you develop your coaching plan. Provide a rationale for each question and an explanation of how the principal’s responses will help guide you in developing an effective coaching plan.
Note: You may find helpful resources for creating your assignment in the Technology Resource Library.
Submit your assignment as a single Word-compatible document to the Assignment Files tab