Cultural Competence Development Plan Draft, health and medicine homework help
To achieve a successful project experience and outcome, you are expected to meet the following requirements.
Section 1: Statement of Expected Benefits
What are the benefits of a culturally competent health care organization?
Improved health outcomes; alignment and allocation of limited resources; patient retention and access to care; patient satisfaction; more offered services; more diverse staff and a more culturally and linguistic competent workforce. In this section, provide:
- Assessment of demographics: population, cultures, race, and so on.
- Stakeholders in the process.
- Structural changes.
- Culturally responsive services offered.
Section 2: Description of Organizational Background
- A brief a history of the organization and population you have chosen, especially the cultural group disparities.
- Cultural characteristics such as values, beliefs, traditions, folktales, and attitudes toward health care.
- A discussion of the local demographics—does the cultural population(s) chosen reflect the state of the health care industry and disparities studied?
- Identification of the diverse backgrounds of people in the workforce of the organization selected and compare them to the population(s) served. For example, are predominantly white, non-Hispanics serving a predominantly Asian population?
Section 3: Analysis of Organizational Needs
Identify, assess, and evaluate health care needs as follows:
- Identify any changes needed in the organization’s vision or mission statements towards the targeted cultural group as it relates to disparities.
- Describe the diversity in the current workforce, as it relates to the current and changing cultures and health care needs.
- Assess the current state of cultural competence, described in your Pérez and Luquis textbook, as ranging from “unconsciously incompetent to unconsciously competent” (Purnell Model, p. 108).
- Describe any assessment model or tool used.
- Consider alternative views of return on investment (ROI) for a culturally competent organization.
- Assess organizational needs, and evaluate how the current organization is meeting health care needs. Identify specific needs, and make suggestions for meeting those needs.
- Describe what you think are the most significant challenges for the leadership in transforming the organization to one that is culturally competent.
Section 4: Proposed Initiatives to Address Needs
This section is a proposal to develop, design, and execute a culturally competent health care plan:
- State agreement with current purpose, vision, mission, supporting policies and procedures, or make recommendations.
- Conduct a SWOT analysis relative to cultural competency.
- Assess and make recommendations regarding executive or leadership support in developing and implementing the cultural competence plan.
- Consider the possible impact of a champion, a more diverse leadership team, or more engagement by the board.
- Analyze any assessments, like self-assessments, role-play, or hands-on practice in engaging cultural and linguistic differences in various health care settings, from intake through delivery.
- How do you see the role of health care leadership in engaging the community (governance)?
- Who is responsible for staff development, who should lead the effort, and what training should be implemented?
- How do you propose to design, develop, and implement a more culturally sensitive understanding for diverse health care users?
- List your top five recommendations.
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- Format: Include a cover page and table of contents.
- Abstract: Include a brief summary of the contents
- Body: Include the four sections detailed above, which should include:
- Population background for cultural groups selected.
- Identification of organization needs, with primary reasons for selection.
- Assessment tools selected.
- Summary of conclusions.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA (6th Edition) style and formatting.
- Number of resources: Minimum of 3 resources, not including course textbooks.
- Length of paper: 8–10 typed double-spaced pages, not including the cover page and table of contents.
- Font and font size: Arial 10 point or Times New Roman 12 point.