identifying dependent variables, express null hypothesis
Due Week 10 and worth 150 points
Begin this project by reading the article titled “The Role of Nurses in the Sexual Counseling of Patients after Myocardial Infarction”, located at http://www.hsj.gr/medicine/the-role-of-nurses-in-the-sexual-counseling-of-patients-after-myocardial-infarction.pdf. The authors examined the role of nursing in sexual counseling of myocardial patients. They also examined professional nurses and collected data about their gender, age, education, unit of employment, and experience in cardiac clinics. They then compared the knowledge and comfort level that nurses had with regard to sexual counseling.
Address each of the following six (6) items. Answer each item in one (1) or more complete sentences. Each item is worth twenty five (25) points:
- Identify the dependent variables from the study.
- If the knowledge is measured by the score in points that the nurse receives on a test, determine the type of variable (e.g., quantitative, qualitative, continuous, categorical, etc.) and the level of measurement. Explain your answer.
- If these researchers conducted surveys at a nursing conference, determine the type of sample and explain how this affects generalizability of the results.
- Express a null hypothesis and an alternative hypothesis for this study. Explain your rationale.
- Provide your conclusion from the following data. Explain your response.
The study has an alpha of 0.05 and a power of 80%. The researchers found a relationship between the unit that the nurses worked on and the knowledge scores with a p-value of 0.01.
- Provide your conclusion about the comfort level of nurses from different units if they found a p-value of 0.17 when comparing nurses from different units. Explain your response. Estimate the range of the F-value if they found p > 0.17 when comparing nurses from different units and their comfort level. Explain your response.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Correctly interpret and use the results of one-way, factorial and repeated-measures ANOVA.
- Apply descriptive and inferential statistics to problems in evidence-based nursing.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in statistical concepts for healthcare.
- Write clearly and concisely about statistical concepts for healthcare using proper writing mechanics.