How we handle conflict can impact the growth, or dissolution, of a relationship. Learning effective strategies to handle conflict can help us manage in ways that lead to improvement in our interactions. In this Discussion, you will consider a relationship in which conflict was not resolved. You will consider the context and what led to the outcome.
Using our reading resources, you will then consider â€œIâ€ statements that could be used effectively to assert your point of view while not blaming someone else or making them defensive. Learning to think about your responses before you experience conflict in the future can help make you a more effective business communicator.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Read the Communication Program Discussion Guidelines.
- Read â€œ6.2 Conflict and Interpersonal Communicationâ€ in this weekâ€™s Learning Resources.
- Read â€œAre â€œIâ€ Statements Better Than â€œYouâ€ Statements?â€ in this weekâ€™s Learning Resources.
- Read â€œâ€˜Iâ€™ Messageâ€ in this weekâ€™s Learning Resources.
- Choose a relationship that you have discussed in this course and a time in that relationship when conflict was not resolved in a good manner.
By Day 4
Post a response that addresses the following:
- Provide a description of the relationship and its context (personal, family, or workplace, for example).
- Describe a conflict that has taken place that did not have a good outcome.
- Tell us how you could use â€œIâ€ statements, clarifying questions, and effective nonverbal communication to bring about a more positive outcome. Give specific examples of each.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of â€œIâ€ statements within the scenario.