Introduction to Balanced Literacy
Read the following short web articles about balanced literacy:
- What is balanced literacy? (Will be attached)
- Balanced Literacy Instruction: A Truce for the Reading War? http://www.k12reader.com/balanced-literacy-instruc…
- Components of balanced literacy. (Will be attached)
Now, find and read an article published post-2000 about balanced literacy in a peer-reviewed journal from the International Reading Association. The Ashford University Library has access to these journals. (Challenge: Find an article that does not support balanced literacy.)
- Create a PowerPoint or Prezi (or feel free to use another digital tool with instructor approval). Your presentation title is â€œWhat is Balanced Literacy?â€
- Describe what you have learned about balanced literacy. Pretend you will be presenting this workshop to brand new teachers from another country.
- You will be presenting at least ten slides, not including title and reference slides.
- On the last slide, include a list of sources in APA style.
**An article is attached but if you find a better one, you can use that as long as it is peer-reviewed**
Spiegel, D. L. (1998). Silver bullets, babies, and bath water: Literature response groups in a balanced literacy program. Reading Teacher, 52(2), 114.