In the teachersâ€™ lounge, a group of Caucasian teachers huddle around the water cooler gossiping about why one of their fellow teachers, an Asian-American woman, was promoted to assistant principle over other teachers with more years of experience. â€œI know she has a masterâ€™s degree, but I still think this is clearly an affirmative action thingâ€”they just want to get more minorities in administration. They donâ€™t care about who is really qualified, and thatâ€™s all there is to it.
Answer the following:
- What elements of this scenario make it an example of prejudice?
- Is there also discrimination present?
- Is there stereotyping in this example?
- Explain why the predjudice is occurring using the following terms: Social categorization, in-group, out-group, and ingroup-bias.
- Based on your readings, what type of intervention could help to reduce prejudice in a situation like this?
Please be sure you address each question, using terms and concepts from your text. A good initial discussion response should be at least 150â€“250 words in length.