Week 9 Discussion 1
Propose at least two (2) strategies to avoid assumptions in a multiyear plan. Justify your response.
Week 9 Discussion 2
Recommend at least two (2) best practices for analyzing multiyear financial statements. Justify your response.
Week 9 Assignment 4
Note: Students cannot use New York City as a selected local government
Assignment 4: Implementing the Budget
Due Week 9 and worth 125 points
Refer the Scenario for Assignments 1â€“5. Prepare a variance report for the selected agency. Refer to Table 8.4 in Chapter 8 (page 133).
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper addressing the criteria below. (Note: Change the title of the report to reflect the selected agencyâ€™s name and the years to 2013-2014.)
- Find the variances for both the revenue and expenditures sides and then discuss two to three (2-3) problematic areas for the agency. Provide the results of the variances in a table (Excel or Word).
- Recommend two (2) policy actions for each problematic area discussed in criterion 1. Justify the recommendations.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Recommend appropriate policy actions based on the evaluation.
- Evaluate a budgeting system at any governmental level.
- Analyze the scope and sequence of budgeting in terms of sources of revenues, purpose of government expenditures, budget cycles, budget preparation, and debt administration.
- Analyze the requirements for implementing a budget.
- Develop various budget charts that represent segments of the budgeting process.
- Write clearly and concisely about public budgeting and finance using proper writing mechanics.