Research Critique Paper
The purpose of this assignment is to demonstrate your ability to evaluate one quantitative or qualitative nursing research article of interest from any refereed nursing journal. Writing a critical review of a journal article can help to improve your writing and analytical skills. By assessing the work of others, you develop skills as a critical reader and become familiar with the types of evaluation criteria necessary to translating the evidence to practice.
- Write a 1-2 pages assignment.
- Choose a primary nursing research article of interest from a refereed nursing journal. Attach a copy of the article.
- Begin your critique by identifying the:
- articleâ€™s title
- date of publication
- name of the journal or other publication in which it appeared
- Where and when was the article published?
- In your introduction, you should also briefly describe the purpose and nature of the study and, if applicable, its theoretical framework.
- If the paper was not published in a peer-reviewed journal, consider the credibility of the publication in which it appeared.
- If you are reviewing a research study, organize the body of your critique according to the paperâ€™s structure. Start with a brief description and analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the research design and methodology. For example:
- How does the method reflect other studies of the same topic? (sample, data collection, setting).
- What makes this method feasible?
- How realistic is it? How does the method address questions of validity?
- How does the researcher overcome the limitations of the method?
- Are there large limitations or minor ones?
- How will these limitations affect your ability to use this data to answer your research question?
- Describe the results by answering:
- How were the results interpreted?
- How were they related to the original problem (author’s view of evidence rather than objective findings)?
- Look at DISCUSSION. Were the author(s) able to answer the question (test the hypothesis) raised?
- Did the research provide new factual information, a new understanding of a phenomenon in the field, a new research technique?
- How was the significance of the work described?
- Did the reported observations/interpretations support or refute observations or interpretations made by other researchers?
- Describe the significance of the research by answering:
- Did the research make a significant contribution to human knowledge?
- Did the research produce any practical applications?
- What are the nursing implications of this research?
- How do you evaluate the significance of the research?
- Utilize at least 5 cited sources to substantiate your findings or critique.
- Follow APA style rules.
- Visit the following website for suggested guidelines:
4 hours ago