Discussion—Evaluating Twelve-Step Programs
The twelve-step program has been a cornerstone of substance abuse treatment for decades. Proponents and opponents of the twelve-step program debate its effectiveness at treatment of substance addiction. These programs are typically supplements to clinical treatment. Some individuals are able to maintain sobriety from participation in a twelve-step program.
Use the module readings and the Argosy University online library resources to research twelve-step programs, in particular focus your research on Alcoholics Anonymous (AA).
Download and review the case study.
Using the case study and your research on twelve-step programs and AA, respond to the following:
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of twelve-step programs?
- Are these programs effective? Please present scholarly evidence when answering this question.
- How did the client in the case benefit from the program?
- What were the disadvantages of the program for this client?
Support your responses using your module readings and authoritative resources. Incorporate theory and factual information in your response.
Write your initial response in 2–3 paragraphs. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
Notes:, pDiscussion . Through,
1 way to think about this assignment is to ask yourself: Why would I send a client to 12-step programs? What would I be hoping he/she would gain? What cautions might I give them if any? What would I not expect 12-step programs to provide?
Some of you may wish to evaluate alternative “step” programs — Rational Recovery, Women in Sobriety, etc.
For the LASA: Make sure you look at the points on the rubric. Most of the points have to do with three different assessments. These need to be SPECIFIC (“interview” is not specific enough) and well defined and described. You can have more slides if you want — but not less. Have an introduction and conclusion. Use your presenter notes. Do NOT put more than about 10 words on a slide. Reference your graphics.
In past classes, I had some questions — the answers may help you:
1. Yes, the chart needs to have specific assessments. Here is an example for older adults: https://consultgeri.org/try-this/general-assessment/issue-17
Here is a paper and list of assessments for youth: https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/assessingalcohol/behaviors.htm
2. Slides are free! Yes, you can have more than the requirement, but not less.
3. Title and references don’t count as a slide.
4. Reference your graphics, easy peasy. See the PowerPoint hints.
5. It’s a choppy assignment, do your best to make it flow in your notes. About 1-2 paragraphs for each slide.