After formulating a clearly defined plan for a gap analysis, the next logical step is to conduct the gap analysis. The gap analysis will shed additional light on the details of the current-state workflow and provide directions for transitioning into the future-state workflow.
At this stage in the Course Project, you will conduct your gap analysis, which you planned throughout Weeks 3–5. You will also finalize your draft of the current-state workflow in Visio using the information you collect during your gap analysis.
To prepare for Part 2 of the Course Project:
- Review your Gap Analysis Plan (Part 1 of the Course Project) and prepare any necessary recording documents and meeting/observation arrangements with the individuals involved in the workflow.
- Conduct the gap analysis. Observe and consult with individuals in your organization who are involved in the workflow.
- Analyze the data you gathered and whether or not it meets the goals and objectives you set in your Gap Analysis Plan (Part 1 of the Course Project).
- Interpret the meanings and implications of the data you collected. Consider how the workflow issues relate to electronic health records (EHRs) and one or more specific meaningful use objectives.
- Examine your Visio draft of the current-state workflow. Consider how the draft aligns with the data you collected in your gap analysis. You will also receive feedback from your colleagues in Week 6.
- Begin revising your Visio draft of the current-state workflow based on your gap analysis. Remember to update the information in the swimlane. In addition, prepare to write a detailed description of your Visio workflow.
To complete Part 2 of the Course Project:
- Based on the information gathered in your gap analysis, create a finalized Visio model of the current-state workflow.
- Then, in a 3- to 4-page paper, respond to the following:
- Explain the results of your gap analysis and how they address the goals you set in Part 1 of the Course Project. Identify the issues (gaps) within the current workflow.
- Analyze how the issues you identified relate to EHRs and one or more meaningful use objectives.
- Describe in detail the final version of your Visio model of the current-state workflow. Include in your description an explanation of the swimlane (who completes each step). In addition, identify where the workflow gaps exist.
- Explain how you changed your Visio draft based on the feedback you will have received from your colleagues in the Week 6 Discussion and the information you gathered during your gap analysis.
- In a reference list, cite a minimum of three scholarly references (with APA citations) you used to conduct your gap analysis and create your current-state workflow model.
Part 2 of the Course Project, including both the paper and the current-state workflow model in Visio, is due by Day 7 ofWeek 7.