ordering and interpreting diagnostic testing based on the history and physical assessment
The purpose of this assignment is to choose one patient seen in practicum between Weeks 1 and 5. The student will be ordering and interpreting diagnostic testing based on the history and physical assessment for one client they have seen presenting with an acute, an episodic, or one chronic illness in the primary care setting.
- Choose one patient you have seen in your practicum setting between Weeks 1 and 5.
- Choose a patient who presents with symptoms indicating one of the following diagnoses:
- Heart Disease
- Back Pain
- Identify the diagnostic test(s) or laboratory study(s) you ordered for this patient with the actual or suspected diagnosis.
- Provide evidence-based rationale as to why you ordered the diagnostic test(s) or laboratory study(s) for this diagnosis.
- Provide an estimate of what each of the diagnostic test(s) or laboratory study(s) you ordered costs in your practicum setting.
- How did you interpret the findings of diagnostic test(s) or laboratory study(s) you ordered? For example, what are the pertinent positive/negative findings of the diagnostic test(s) or laboratory study(s) you ordered?
- How did you notify the patient of the results of the diagnostic test(s) or laboratory study(s) you ordered?
- What follow-up and/or referral to another health care provider are needed for further care of the patient?
- Describe what is meant by â€œcost-benefitâ€ of a diagnostic test.
The information should be provided in the form of a 2-4-page paper not including the title page or reference page.
The paper should be written in paragraph form with each component of the assignment included as a subheading. For example, there will be a subheading for each of the 9 points.
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above);
- consult the Grading Rubric (under the Course Resources) to make sure you have included everything necessary; and
- utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors.
Your writing Assignment should:
- follow the conventions of Standard American English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.);
- be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful;
- display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics; and
- use APA 6th Edition format as outlined in the APA Progression Ladder.