put page number that you use on the reference list
David E. Shi and George Brown Tindall, America: A Narrative History, Vol. 2, 10th ed. (New York: W.W. Norton, 2016) [ISBN: 9780393265958].
An ideal post would be two solid paragraphs (that includes a thesis statement, a body of supporting evidence, and a conclusion that summarizes the main points). The post should be well constructed and free of grammatical errors, and be between 250 and 300 words. You do not need to undertake outside research in order to answer the question; although you may, if you like. It is a wise strategy to create your response as a Word document (that way, you have a copy for yourself). You must cite your sources both in your response and below it (Bibliography), using the Chicago Style citation format. Students who do not cite their work can expect to receive only a minimum grade of 60% for this assignment. It is expected that our textbook by Shi and Tindall will be a source and should likewise be accessed and cited.
Choose one (1) question.
1. What were President John F. Kennedy’s efforts to contain communism abroad and pursue civil rights and other social programs at home?
2. What were the strategies and achievements of the civil rights movement in the 1960s? What divisions emerged among its activists during the decade?
3. What were President Lyndon B. Johnson’s major war on poverty and Great Society initiatives? How did they impact American society?
4. What were Presidents Kennedy and Johnson’s motivations for deepening America’s military involvement in the Vietnam War?
5. What were the origins of the youth revolt? How did it manifest in the New Left and the counterculture?
6. How did the youth revolt and the early civil rights movement influence other protest movements? How did new protest movements affect social attitudes and public policy?
7. How did the political environment of the late sixties shape President Richard M. Nixon’s election strategy and domestic policy?
8. How and why did Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger change military and political strategies to end America’s involvement in the Vietnam War?
9. How did the Watergate scandal unfold? What was its political significance?